The RBC Future Launch Community Challenge
This spring, the RBC Future Launch Community Challenge will be calling youth to action from coast to coast to coast. Participating community foundations will be offering grants of up to $15,000 to youth-led initiatives in 150 small and mid-sized communities (under 150,000 residents) in support of a wide range of community priorities.
Start preparing! What is your boldest idea to respond to an urgent local need?
The RBC Future Launch Community Challenge is committed to supporting project ideas as diverse as Canadian youth themselves. Projects may address:
- The environment
- Food security
- Other areas of community need
So what’s your bold idea? Let the RBC Future Launch Community Challenge help bring it to life!
Who will be able to apply?
The RBC Future Launch Community Challenge will support youth-led, community initiatives that involve a collaboration between youth, aged 15-29, and qualified donees in small and mid-sized communities. Applications may be submitted by youth or by the collaborating qualified donee.
Applicants will be required to demonstrate the active role of both youth and the qualified donee in the project. The qualified donee would be the recipient of the funds.
Examples of qualified donees include:
- Registered charities;
- Registered Canadian municipalities;
- Registered municipal or public bodies performing a function of government in Canada
Unsure if there are qualified donees in your community? Check the CRA Charities listing and List of other qualified donees to find potential partners.
What projects will be eligible?
The RBC Future Launch Community Challenge will consider funding requests from diverse initiatives in participating communities that are led by youth, aged 15–29, that:
- Respond to a specific local priority, need or lived experiences of the community;
- Build relationships between youth and community members towards a shared local vision for the future; or
- Experiment with new and creative ideas for building a vibrant, resilient community.
The RBC Future Launch Community Challenge will aim to support a diversity of initiatives, with youth demonstrating leadership in areas from the environment to food security, from intergenerational connection to arts and culture, from employment to a sense of belonging, and many others.
To be considered eligible, projects will involve youth in the creation, design, and/or implementation of the initiative, with the majority of the decisions and activities for each project (60%+) will be led by youth.
Please note that the following projects will be ineligible:
- Infrastructure or capital-only projects (ie. building a building, buying a vehicle);
- Major capital purchases (over $2,000 per purchase);
- Beautification-only projects (ie. exclusively for the purpose of beautification, without additional components like education, community building, etc.);
- Advertising or promotional campaigns (exclusively);
- Travel-related events, including student trips or tours (exclusively);
- Events involving ticket-sales or fundraising;
- Ongoing programming or recurrent events (unless the proposed project is significantly scaled or different from ongoing programming);
- Awards or prizes;
- Projects that have already received funding from RBC or the RBC Foundation for the same activity
Will the RBC Future Launch Community Challenge be available in my community?
Check back during the week of May 21 to see the full list of participating community foundations!
When can I apply?
Community Foundations of Canada and participating community foundations will share more about this initiative during the week of May 21, 2019.
Applications will be accepted through participating community foundations from May 21 – September 18, 2019.
Check back in the third week of May for:
- A list of participating community foundations
- Application forms and guidelines
- Other eligibility details
When & how can I learn more?
More detailed program and application details will be available after May 21. Follow us on social media for updates!
With thanks to the RBC Foundation
The RBC Future Launch Community Challenge is supported by the RBC Foundation.